Thursday, August 1, 2013

Random Hints for Air Travel

We just returned from a little family trip to Washington DC.  I learned many things...such as, when the police tell everyone to clear out of the park across from the White House, they don't answer questions like, "Why? What's going on? Should we be worried?"  I learned that even though you KNOW you'll be walking miles (and miles), you'll still wear your wedges to The Capitol and resort to wearing 17 Band-Aids like a toddler.
rolling luggage cookies and tutorial ::: bake at 350 blog
And, I picked up a few tips I'd like to share about air travel.  You might know that a long, long, looooong time ago, I was a flight attendant with Delta.  Back in the days when airlines served food and stocked magazines and decks of cards.  Remember that?

These are not flight attendant tips, though.  These are tips gained as a passenger.
rolling luggage cookies and tutorial ::: bake at 350 blog
Hypothetically speaking, let's say your family of 3 is traveling from, oh...Houston to DC.  Hypothetically.  And let's say that you're assigned middle seats in different rows.  Let's say that you bake and decorate cookies for the gate agents in the hopes that they'll help you find 3 seats together.

MY TIP: if the gate agent will not even humor you and take a peek at your tickets AND will not even open the box of cookies and say thank you, TAKE THEM BACK!!!  Save the cookies for the flight attendants...they probably haven't eaten all day.

Middle seats: They're bad enough when you're sitting next to someone to whom you are related.  When sitting next to strangers, it's all kinds of awkward.

My TIPS: 
  1. Claim the armrests ASAP.  The window seat has the wall, the aisle seat has room to breathe.  Those armrests are your only hope of personal space.
  2. If window or aisle person leans into your space, a quick elbow jab will take care of the situation.  (Pretend it's a sleep reflex.)
  3. Upon approach and landing, it's important that you can see out of the window.  If the person next to the window has their entire face covered in a blanket, it is perfectly acceptable to reach over and open the window shade.  If they reach over and close it, fist fight.
delta flight attendant cookies ::: bake at 350 blog
Those are my tips...here's the rolling bag tutorial.   You might have seen this cookie design as a part of the flight attendant cookies I made a while back, one of my favorite cookie sets ever.  I love them.

You'll need:
rolling bag tutorial 1 photo rollingbagtutorial1.jpg
Use a #2 tip to outline the cookies.  Reserve some of this piping consistency icing for adding details later. Use a #1 tip to pipe a wheel with the plain icing.

Thin the blue icing with water, a bit at a time, stirring with a silicone spatula, until it is the consistency of a thick syrup.  You'll want to drop a "ribbon" of icing back into the bowl and have it disappear in a count of "one thousand one, one thousand two." Four is too thick, one is too thin.  Count of 2-3 is good.  Cover with a damp dishcloth and let sit for several minutes.

Stir gently with a silicone spatula to pop and large air bubbles that have formed.  Pour into a squeeze bottle.

rolling bag tutorial 2 photo rollingbagtutorial2.jpg
Flood the outline with the thinned icing.  Use a toothpick to guide to edges and pop large air bubbles.

Let the cookies dry for at least one hour.

rolling luggage cookies and tutorial ::: bake at 350 blog
Use a #2 tip to add the bag details with blue icing.  Use a #1 tip to add the zipper and remainder of handle with the plain icing.

rolling luggage cookies and tutorial ::: bake at 350 blog
{Since my table is usually full of decorating supplies, I move a cookie sheet to a chair to take the tutorial pictures.  My supervisor is sleeping on the job *again.*}

Let the cookies dry uncovered 6-8 hours or overnight.

us map cookie tutorial photo ::: bake at 350 blog
{If you're making map cookies as well, follow the same process.  No, geography is not one of my gifts.  Yes, that is supposed to be Houston to DC.}

Once the cookies are dry, time for a little drink...
rolling bag tutorial vodka photo rollingbagtutorialvodka.jpg
....I mean, time to apply the luster dust.

rolling bag tutorial luster photo rollingbagtutoriallusterappl.jpg
Mix a bit of the luster dust with vodka until smooth.  Use a small paintbrush to apply to the areas of white icing.  The alcohol will evaporate, leaving just the metallic finish.

And here's the template for cutting out the cookies:
rolling bag cookie template and tutorial ::: bake at 350 blog
{Just print and use the instructions here for templates.}

rolling bag cookies tutorial ::: bake at 350 blog
What travel tips do you have to share?



48 comments:

  1. Oh yes, as a globetrotter that likes to bake - I want to make these cookies! The suitcase and the USA cookies would be perfect. Maybe a globe cookie though to fit a trip from Korea back home to DC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post and these cookies! Just Tues of this week, after flying a red eye from SAN to ATL, and a 4 hr layover in ATL with our 6 yr old in tow, we pull away from the gate, only to learn of engine issues. And were stranded on the tarmack for 4 hrs. They said they couldnt serve us bevs b/c it was an intl flight? We finally made it off the runway. Let's just say the passengers ate every bit of food and drank every oz of liquids and liquors on that flight when they finally let us have it! :)

    Your cookies are AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have absolutely no travel tips, just a comment. How miserable could someone have to be at their job to not just smile and shriek at the sight of these cookies....just sayin', they are beyond adorable and look better and more delicious than any food I've ever seen in any airport, and, I've been in my share of terminals!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're so funny, Bridget:) Your luggage cookies are so darn cute; I MUST make them for SOMEONE! My in-laws are planning a trip to London in September, so I think I will make these for them. Thanks for the template!
    Your "supervisor" sort of blends in with the b/w polka dot chair:) Cute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. seriously i love it!!! omg!! http://inspiringtrend.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are SO cute and you are SO clever. I love them!!!! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your "travel tips" just sound like: "How to be a rude and obnoxious traveler." You really just elbow people and pretend it was an accident? That's really mean. Elbows hurt.

    I think it's cute that you tried to get the airline folks to help you out with cookies. But I find it troublesome that when the airline folks refuse to help you out, you take that frustration out on the people that happen to be sitting next to you on the flight. It's not their fault you are in a miserable seat away from your family. I hope I never sit next to you on a flight. (But if I ever do, I hope you would have the common decency to just ask the person if you can look out the window.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry that you obviously can't understand to take a joke. Anyway, I don't see anything wrong with her tips - people getting in my personal space is one of my biggest pet peeves. It's not my responsibility to make sure the guy next to me is comfortable by sacrificing my own comfort and personal bubble for a 4+ hour flight. I bet you're one of those people who takes up a seat and a half, aren't you?

      Anyway, good tips, cookies are awesome, and your "supervisor" is a total cutie! ;)

      Delete
    2. Amazing cookies. Frankly given the way most of the people that I sit next to on planes behave I think an elbow claiming an armrest is the least they deserve. I once sat in front a man who wanted to 1. rest his newspaper on the back of the seat so it flopped over my head and 2. then wanted my seat actually bent forward when I complained about the newspaper. Not just keeping my seat upright (reclined was not an option), he actually thought he should be able to push the seat forwards and kept pushing and shoving and making my flight a misery for 12 hours. If I could have given him a nudge with my elbow I would have!

      I am sure that Bridget meant this with a sense of humour.

      Delete
    3. Anon,

      This post was all in good fun. I haven't elbowed anyone...yet. ;)

      Happy baking!

      Delete
  8. We're heading to DC for a big family reunion next week. I'd love to hear what you loved there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kiddo is really into airplanes and LOVED the Air & Space Museum...there are two...and he loved the one at Dulles. We took a bus to get there. :)

      American History Museum

      Baked & Wired in Georgetown for cupcakes

      And of course, the Lincoln & Jefferson memorials

      Oh! And the panda at the zoo!!!!

      Delete
  9. Haha! I love this post and these cookies!! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are awesome Bridget! I remember these roller bag cookies from your great flight attendant post a while ago. I'm glad you revisited them again with a tutorial. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ha! I would elbow someone if they tried to eat my cookies thatisall :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Too cute!!! (Story AND cookies ;) I just love those flight attendant cookies - precious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The arm rest is sacred space - and I am totally a window watcher, if I'm not seated by the window, odds are I'm going to be leaning over you to peek trhough it. Ben and I flew or PDX a couple weeks ago - he got the window seat. I almost punched my own husband to peek out the window. #maritalbliss
    These cookies are adorable - and if any gate attendent didn't even peek at them, she didn't deserve them anywya. I'd have upgraded you to first class!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awww these cookies are just way too adorable :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh so cute! The flight attendant cookies are my favorite of the selection but they are all wonderful. Wouldn't the U.S. cookies be sweet for a freshman headed off to college or moving away party? Pinning for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You're so adorable! I love your page and I fantasize about being able to decorate cookies like yours. I think that is just a distant fantasy!! What cute cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are awesome! I'm thinking you should get a seat upgrade for these cookies. I'm not a great flyer, but once got bumped to those first class pods. Oh how much easier it was to fly in those. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the cookies, love the tips, and most importantly, LOVE LOVE LOVE the supervisor sleeping on the job!! Have one that works just as hard!

    And having grown up just outside of DC, I think your recommendations are great for sights to see, as well as just walking the "Mall" at night. Can't get much prettier than that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! And the WW2 memorial at night is gorgeous!

      Delete
  19. Check your backpack before you load it up for the plane. My policeman son-in-law put brass knuckles in mine cause he worries when we're in Mexico & Nicaragua (we're missionaries) and didn't tell me. He thought I'd find them once we got home from our road trip. Yet get to be handcuffed, shackled and spend the WHOLE day in a Texas jail that borders on Mexico.

    And never ask the flight attendants...since NO ONE is sitting in the EXIT row seats, who will open the door if we crash? If you're not willing to pay to sit there I guess we'll just have to stay inside.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great tips! I did use the one with elbow a couple of time ;)And did you take back your cookies?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! No, I left them....but as soon as I got on the airplane, I thought, "I really should have just given them as a treat to the flight attendants." Next time. :)

      Delete
  21. Free Social Media Marketing where Every thing will be Free, Facebook Likes, Twitter Followers, Twitter Tweets, Twitter Re-Tweets, Twitter Favorites, Google Plus Followers, StumbleUpon Followers, Youtube Views, Youtube Likes, Youtube Subsribes, Pinterest Followers, Pinterest Likes, Pinterest PinIt, Free Website Visitors.
    Just Join now and Free Increase your Social Media Networks.
    GetLikeFast.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Having grown up in the DC area you know to never ask questions when you are near the White House or Capitol. Or make jokes, jokes are frowned upon.

    Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  23. My travel tip is always wear your ugliest orthopedic sneakers to Washington DC. :-) My hubby and I went for our "babymoon" when I was six months pregnant with our first baby, and looking cute was NOT high on my list of priorities when I knew I was going to be waddling around museums all day!

    ReplyDelete
  24. If I ever made a cookie every remotely as amazing as these, I don't think I could bear to give them away to strangers -- even if I was hoping to get something in return! You are so talented. Seriously impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks you for all the tips!!! I will suggest keeping the cookies for the people that are sitting next to you and holding kiddo's hand and with your pretty smile, just ask them can you please change seats?? i can give you some cookies?? maybe is not the correct thing to do…but sometimes has work for us..well I have never bring cookies, maybe next time I take some cookies and ask some 1st class travelers to change seats ; ) ….JK!!
    Love your post and most of all the cookies!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your ideas were really creative and innovative, yet they were really useful enough for me. I never found it difficult to follow your procedures, and I would love to share this with my family and friends. Thanks and more power to your website.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Cute! And, I loved the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Those flight attendants don't know what they're missing! Your cookies are gorgeous.

    Middle Seats are the worst. The end.

    ReplyDelete
  29. You're in Houston?!? We gotta meet up! I just flew in there today, then drove to Austin...those flight attendant and suitcase cookies are so cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I just lick the arm rest so the person next to me doesn't want to use it!! LOL..I kid!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I doubt that you are kidding Leslie. LMAO! J/k ;-)

      Delete
  31. Bridget I really must get over here more often. You a hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  32. This post is really incredible, one of the most helpful I have ever read,indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  33. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Lols and Gags, Lol Pictures, Funny Pictures, Lol is the Laugh out of Laugh where you can Fun Unlimited and Laughing Unlimited. Visit the Best Lol Network Ever, where you can every thing is lol and Funny, Troll Images, Funny Vidoes, Prank Peoples, Funny Peoples, Prank Images, Fail Pictures, Epic Pictures and Much More Fun and Entertainment
    lolsgag.com

    ReplyDelete
  35. Forex Affaris.. Latest Currency news updates, latest forex trading business updates, trading updates, forex trading latest news, forex brokers directory, forex brokers list, Dollars news affairs, Stock Markets, stock market news, stock market analysis, technology news, international forex markets, international forex business news and all updates about Forex Trading
    ForexAffairs.Com

    ReplyDelete
  36. Thanks for sharing this nice info expect some more in near future.
    http://infofaisalabad.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  37. I find all time new and materially things for my travelling. Because, I am a tourist and I like your nice cookies. It’s a very different and nice idea. I like your topic for your blog. Good and interesting information. Thanks for your nice sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  38. These are awesome! I think you should get a seat upgrade for these cookies. I have always been a people watcher. I've always loved going to the mall sitting and just watching people. Where do they come from? What are they shopping for?

    ReplyDelete
  39. Nice sharing! Two years ago I also had a chance to go with washington dc cherry blossom tours. I used to visit United States Capitol, Washington Monument, White House, Thomas Jefferson Memorial and National Gallery of Art and enjoyed there a lot. Washington DC is a fantastic city with great attractions. United States Capitol and National Gallery of Art are my favorite attraction there.

    ReplyDelete
  40. I’m sure you will provide the more awesome blogs like these blogs that I’ve enjoyed a lot.
    vietnam travel

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Pin It button on image hover