Thursday, May 30, 2013

We go together like rama-lama-lama-ka-dinga-de-DING-de-DONG (ice cream)

mocha ding dong ice cream ::: bake at 350 blog
My sister's first job was working at Marble Slab Creamery.  I remember this vividly because she came home every night smelling of waffle cones. (Hmm...now I'm thinking I know *just* the place for kiddo in a few years.)

Working at Marble Slab makes you kind of an ice cream expert...for life.  If Molly recommends an ice cream and mix-in topping, you go with it.
mocha ding dong ice cream ::: bake at 350 blog
The combination Molly and her husband have been talking about for years? Coffee Ice Cream with Ding Dongs. If I'm remembering the story correctly, Molly and her hubby used to bring Ding-Dongs from home to Marble Slab.

When you're packing you're own ice cream mix-ins, that's dedication, people.  (Or insanity...I forget.)

Now, Ding Dongs are/were my favorite Hostess treat...and I hear they're making a comeback. Yay!  Until then though, don't bother carting your own mix-ins to Marble Slab; make your own ice cream at home.  This ice cream isn't straight-up coffee, instead I went with mocha.  You can never go wrong adding a little chocolate.

mocha ding dong ice cream ::: bake at 350 blog
Since we've eaten through our stash of Ding Dongs, I made this ice cream with Little Debbie Cocoa Cremes; they're pretty darn close. You can use TastyKakes, Swiss Cake Rolls, whatever you want.  Oh, I just had a flash...ZINGERS!  Are those Hostess?  Must investigate. 

*I love this ice cream making method, but it does involve raw eggs.  If raw eggs make you squeamish, or you're serving this to someone with a compromised immune system, simply use pasteurized eggs.  You'll find them right next to the regular eggs in the grocery store.*
mocha ding dong ice cream ::: bake at 350 blog

print recipe photo printrecipe.jpg  
Mocha Ding Dong Ice Cream

2 eggs
3/4 cup + 2 TBSP sugar
2 cups heavy cream
1 cup milk
2 TBSP espresso powder
2 TBSP Dutch-process cocoa
4 Ding Dong-esque snack cakes, roughly chopped and chilled

First, make sure the bowl of your ice cream freezer is completely chilled (for at least 24 hours). 

Place your ice cream storage container in the freezer.
mocha ding dong ice cream ::: bake at 350 blog
Whisk the eggs for 1-2 minutes until light and fluffy.

mocha ding dong ice cream ::: bake at 350 blog
Gradually whisk in the sugar.  After all of the sugar has been added, whisk for another minute to blend completely.

Whisk in the cream and milk; then add the espresso powder and cocoa.  Whisk until combined.

Pour the mixture into the ice cream maker and process.  Two minutes before the freezing cycle has ended, add in half of the chopped, chilled snack cakes.

{This is the ice cream maker I use...it comes in lots of adorable colors!}
mocha ding dong ice cream ::: bake at 350 blog
Once the ice cream is finished, spoon into the chilled storage container, adding in the remaining snack cakes throughout. Press plastic wrap onto the ice cream to prevent freezer burn, cover and freeze for 4 hours or so until hardened.

mocha ding dong ice cream ::: bake at 350 blog
Ding Dong, the witch has been fed...or something like that. 
What's your favorite ice cream/mix-in combo?



34 comments:

  1. OMG OMG OMG totally know that song in your title...hold on let me get the artist Roisin Murphy!
    And my names is Molly and I used to work at an ice cream place! Hehe! That made me happy! This ice cream looks delish!

    xx
    M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! This is awesome, you are awesome for doing this! I have been posting ice cream like no other and now I want to make more!! No, I need to make more! LOL
    Looks awesome, sounds awesome, is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea for ice cream! Sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pasteurized eggs are so hard to find here! I've asked grocers, stock boys...they all look at me like I have lost my ever lovin' mind. Thank you for at least acknowledging that they are indeed a real thing. Search continues...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Best title of a food blog post, ever! (Just watched Grease. It was in the background, but I still sang along!) Such fond memories of Hostess Ding Dongs. (No matter how many times Hostess tried to change the name, we kept calling them by their "rightful" name. Hahaha!) And, Hostess Ho Hos, too. Remember those? Totally wicked ice cream recipe, fer shure, Bridge! Must try this summer. But, I'm really crushing on your vintage cherries print in your photos! ;) xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gracious goodness ... it's way too early in the morning for me to be craving ice cream ... or is it? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooooooooo. Can I come visit?! Lovely B!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. HOw have I never thought to put Little Debbie's into ice cream? I feel like my life is now complete.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My boyfriend worked at a place called Cold Stone Creamery (sounds like the same premise as Marble Slab) through high school and he, too, always came home smelling of waffle cones. To this day he has trouble walking into a Cold Stone because of that smell...so I happily placate him instead with homemade frozen desserts - I have a feeling he'd love this one ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG I LOVE you for this!! Ding Dongs were always my favorite too!! I never thought of putting them in ice cream!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my word this is too good to be true. Now make me a Twinkie ice cream for a double scoop and I'll owe you my life!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I find it a little scary ... I have all the ingredients to make this ... even the Debbie cakes! All I need is an ice cream maker!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this version. I just got my first ice cream maker and have been going ice cream crazy. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You could fairly easily cook the eggs for this and not have to worry about pasteurized vs. non. Whisk your eggs and sugar together, and heat about half of your cream and milk just to a simmer on the stovetop. Temper into the egg mixture, then return to the stovetop, stirring constantly til it starts to thicken. Strain and add to the rest of your liquid, then continue. You'll need to thoroughly chill the mixture before adding it to your ice cream maker, so it does add an extra step and a few hours, but I love the texture it creates!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you absolutely could make a custard base for this.

      Delete
  15. Every time you post a homemade ice cream post I start wishing once again that I had an ice-cream maker. You do create some wonderful home-made treats with yours. A bowl full of this latest ice cream would be lovely right now. It's finally really hot here :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is so creative, Bridget!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Searching stumbleupon.com I noticed your website book-marked as:
    Blogger: Bake at 350. Now I am assuming you book marked
    it yourself and wanted to ask if social bookmarking gets you a large amount of visitors?
    I've been thinking about doing some bookmarking for a few of my sites but wasn't sure if it
    would yield any positive results. Thanks.

    Also visit my page; kongres advokata

    ReplyDelete
  18. My first job was something similar to Marble Slab - it was Cold Stones! My hand would be in so much pain in the middle of the night from so much scooping and mixing but in the end, it was all worth it. It was my first job at 18 and I had all the ice cream I wanted.

    Anyway, LOVE this mocha ding dong. I could seriously have this for lunch. Who needs real food?

    ReplyDelete
  19. This ice cream is TO DIE FOR. OMG. I'm drooling!

    ReplyDelete
  20. We have Cold Stone Creamery around here, and Orange Leaf frozen yogurt is starting to take over the area.. both are so good! btw- I think Zingers were Hostess :(
    now its 5:30am and i'm craving ice cream. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oooh. This sounds so interesting. Kind of like a cake batter ice cream...only with real cake pieces in it! Yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ice cream does not have to have raw eggs. If you temper the eggs and cook it on low for a few minutes you have a custard, which makes phenomenal ice cream. This called French-style ice cream. I make ice cream all the time and it never has raw eggs in it - yuck!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Mmmmm,mmmmmm, GOOD! I just love the name of the flavor:)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Talk about heart attack city... o.o

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh, you didn't, you did! I love it!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. mmm ..... I'm crazy for mocha flavor. I can hardly wait to make it and to cool off my loved ones :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. You know, people in Japan eat raw eggs ALL THE TIME and they're some of the longest lived people on earth... Just sayin'... *dips into the cookie dough*

    ReplyDelete
  28. Forex Affaris.. Latest Currency news updates, latest forex trading business updates, trading updates, forex trading latest news, forex brokers directory, forex brokers list, Dollars news affairs, Stock Markets, stock market news, stock market analysis, technology news, international forex markets, international forex business news and all updates about Forex Trading
    ForexAffairs.Com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Pin It button on image hover