Monday, January 7, 2013

Baby, it's Cold Outside!

Eskimos igloos
 I *know* if it's 31 degrees here in Houston this morning, it's really cold where you are. We're not quite in Eskimo mode, but I have been wearing jeans and boots for 2 weeks straight and THAT makes me very happy.  PS: can you send us some snow?

Eskimo zig zag sweater
Having never been to Alaska, or anywhere else where Eskimos live, I can only imagine that the girls wear pink & red sweaters, and very big, clunky go-go boots.  Seems right.

Eskimo heart sweaters
As I was making these, I was thinking about "Eskimo Kisses," you know, rubbing noses together?  Kiddo & I used to do those ALL the time when he was little.  As an almost-14-year-old, I'm pretty sure he will be horrified, but I'm going to try to sneak one in today.

Eskimo girls line
These darling eskimo & igloo cookie cutters are from King Arthur Flour.  

Let's make some Eskimo cookies.  You will need:

Eskimo face outline
Use a #2 tip to pipe a circle for the face in copper/fleshtone.

Eskimo hair outline
With another #2 tip, pipe hair on the face in black. Reserve some of this piping consistency icing.

Use a #2 tip to pipe the outline of the sweater in pink...
Eskimo clothes outline
...and another to pipe the hood and boots with white.

Thin the copper, black, white and pink icings with water, a bit at a time, stirring with a silicone spatula, until it is the consistency of a thick syrup.  You'll want to drop a "ribbon" of icing back into the bowl and have it disappear in a count of "one thousand one, one thousand two." Four is too thick, one is too thin.  Count of 2-3 is good.  Cover with a damp dishcloth and let sit for several minutes.

Stir gently with a silicone spatula to pop and large air bubbles that have formed.  Pour into squeeze bottles as needed.     

Eskimo hair flood
Fill in the outlines for the different sections with the thinned flood icing, using a toothpick to guide to the edges and to pop large air bubbles.

Eskimo shirt flood

Eskimo face flood
The order really doesn't matter here.

Eskimo white flood
 Let the cookies dry for at least one hour.

Now, add the details.
Eskimo add detail
  • use a #2 tip to add the sweater details and mittens in red icing.
  • use a #1 tip to add a mouth and boot details.
  • use a #1 tip to go over the outline of the hair, add braids, and eyes.
Eskimo hair close
The braids are just piped hearts really close to each other with a little fringe at the end.  I added just a swipe of red for a ponytail holder with a #1 tip.

Let the cookies dry 6-8 inches or overnight.  Add the cheeks with a pink food coloring pen. 

Eskimo girl close
I hereby declare this Eskimo Kiss Day!  My boys better look out!!!  Go get someone you love! ♥ 


42 comments:

  1. Really cute Eskimo cookies Bridget! Wish I could send some snow your way. In the meantime, hope you get that Eskimo kiss from kiddo ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How does your black not bleed into your white? Did you dry the outlines for a long time?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You floor me with your creativity and mad skills, Bridget! I adore these!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness Bridget - these are fantastic! I don't know how anyone could eat these, they're just so adorable! PS- I agree with the attire. If you're cold, you might as well splash a little color around! XO

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am totally sure that Eskimos are very fashionable. :)
    I know yours are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So darling! I want that outfit! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh! These are precious! I'm a new reader (slowly going through all the posts you've made). It's because of you I want to get into cookie decorating. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are divine! And the step-by-step instructions are fantastic :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Adorable, as always! These look delicious... it is chilly here in west Texas as well! Have a great week :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am smitten with how ADORABLE these cookies are! LOVE all the details! I saw those cutters and almost bought them, but now I see I NEED to buy them:) Cheers to Eskimo kisses, and Happy New Year, Bridget!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are so talented!
    I need to try decorating a cookie--it could get ugly.
    lol

    ReplyDelete
  12. My God I love love the way you decorate your cookies. So adorable and mouth watering :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi!
    My name is Teresa and I seriously want to be one of these Eskimo girls!
    I wanna live in an igloo and wear PINK sweaters with hearts and pom-poms!
    I wanna wear white go-go boots with big red hearts!
    I want perfectly shaped RED lips to KISS my fur-balls and Eskimo hubby!
    Only thing is~I'd just have to get my hair highlighted!
    Surely there's a hair salon in an igloo close by!
    These are beyond adorable Bridget!
    Eskimo kisses to you sweet girl!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those look SO cute! I only wish I could decorate like that! Have a wonderful week!

    ♥ Samantha
    http://busysweetlife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my gosh! SO adorable! You have some serious talent, Ms. Bridget!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the igloos espeically! On an unrelated note, I was lucky enough to have my DH gift me with your book this Christmas! I sat by the tree ogling the pictures! I may have drooled even. I can't wait to start experimenting.

    ReplyDelete
  17. hhhhh
    So Cute
    I like how each one of them has her own sweater design
    http://ayasgoodies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am just in awe of you and these gorgeous cookirs. Always so fun to come and seewhat besutiful object you have created.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love coming here! Your cookies always make me smile. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'd like to ask for some snow in Berlin as well. Temperature is just perfect for it :) Your cookies look so beautiful and fun :) Thank you for shating.

    ReplyDelete
  21. First, I just got your book for xmas and it's super adorable, congrats! I'm really looking forward to honing my cookie decorating skills!!!

    Second, having been to Alaska, I can tell you the locals are very fond of Northface jackets. :) Though these eskimo gals are pretty cute in red and pink!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow you are very creative and funny! Would love to know if Kiddo was horrified!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Bridget, you are the absolute cutest and so are these cookies!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Could these be any cuter?! My husband and I went to Alaska for our honeymoon a few years ago and this is totally what all the Eskimos wore :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. These are darling, Bridget! We've been chilly here but it looks like it's warming up a bit for a few days. Would rather it stay cold so I can continue to pile the thick clothes on to hide the pounds that wandered on during the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow. I'm sure you didn't mean for this to be totally racist, right? You've reduced a culture - which you admit you know nothing about - to tasty confections. That's really not cool, no matter how cute you make them. Also, the name "Eskimo" has been abandoned by most people for its racist connotations; Inuit is the term most Inuit prefer. If you're interested in what real "Eskimos" wear, this might help: http://folksdresseduplikeeskimos.tumblr.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Andreae,

      The term Eskimo has never been used in a demeaning fashion in our house. I was not "reducing a culture to a cookie" anymore than the Notre Dame Fighting Irish reduce a culture to a football mascot. As a person of Irish heritage, I know there is more to the Irish than fighting and drinking beer. ;)

      As for the term Eskimo...
      "The term Eskimo is commonly used by those in the lower 48 (states of the USA) and in Alaska to include both Yupik and Inupiat. No universal term other than Eskimo, inclusive of all Inuit and Yupik people, exists for the Inuit and Yupik peoples."

      This is not meant to be a heated discussion in the comment section, I just wanted to respond to your comment and let you know that these decorated cookies did not come from a place of racism, hatefulness, or ignorance.

      Thank you...happy baking! :)

      Delete
  27. The term "Eskimo" was given to aboriginal populations by (ignorant) European settlers. It is indeed an ethnic slur. These cookies are "sweet," but how would African American people feel if we made "N" cookies, with black people holding pieces of fried chicken? Not cool.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I hope you were successful in getting your Eskimo kisses from your fella :) I'd gladly send you the snow we have. We've rec'd more so far this season than we did all last Winter. Your cookies are sweet and I love your igloos :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Eeep. Since you've "never been to Alaska or anywhere else Eskimos live," I'll just point this out: "eskimo" is incredibly racist. I'm sure this wasn't your intent, but.... wow. Inuit is the correct term, and I'm telling you this first-hand. In any case, cookies based on a race of people? On generalizations about a race of people, that you admit you know nothing about? So, so, so not cool. Want to learn more about Inuit people to avoid racist, unfounded stereotypes in the future? I can point you to some great resources, if you're interested.

    ReplyDelete
  30. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Those are sweet! I love those igloos!

    ReplyDelete
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Pin It button on image hover