Tuesday, October 16, 2012

I baked my cookies...now what? (Works for Me Wednesday)

Alright.  So, you baked your cookies.  You're ready to start decorating.

Where do you put them to start?!?
{thanks to my iPhone & Instagram, I have a million of these shots.}

Here's what I do: Instead of setting them on my kitchen counter or table, I put them on cookie sheets. Cookies line the edges, facing out, no cookies in the middle.

Why no cookies in the middle?
  1. When reaching to the middle cookies, my pajama sleeve might brush into a cookie on the edge and mess it up. (Yes, sometimes I wear pj's while decorating...in the middle of the day. Kidding. Kind of.)
  2. Sometimes icing bottles leak.  You know when they'll leak?  Right when you're reaching over a perfectly decorated cookie.
  3. Piping will go much more smoothly if you don't have to reach. 

Cookie sheets are easily rotated.  Try doing that with your kitchen counter.

Cookie sheets are easily transported.  Working at your kitchen table and your family wants to eat dinner?  Pick them up and move them to the dining room.
(Not your family, the cookie sheets.)

You don't need expensive cookie sheets.  I have lots of cookie sheets that I bake on, but I also have a whole stack of cheap-o cookie sheets just for this purpose.  They come in handy when you're decorating 100's of cookies.  Or, if you're decorating 12 cookies and want your good cookie sheets to heat up some taquitos.

Cookie sheets for cookie decorating....works for me.


30 comments:

  1. Great post, and it reminds me that I loooove those peach cookies ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooooooo. I do that too!! And isn't it strange how we can be totally attached to a particular cookie sheet!? Oh, wait, is that just me.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant post, such a simple idea that works. These cookies look beyond brilliant, I feel very inspired to give them a go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfectly timed post for me, got 100 cookies to decorate this weekend. Unfortunately I don't have many cookies sheets. Must find out how many I can borrow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bought a whole bunch of cookie sheets from the dollar store for just this purpose. At first I was worried that they would be too small, but they're perfect. No room in the middle for cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got some huge cookie sheets just for this, now I just have to actually use them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll come over and help ya. I can eat the cookies that were in the middle to get them off your hands! See, you need me for a neighbor!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love ALL of your cookies! You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great tip about no cookies in the middle...my sleeve has ruined many a "middle" cookie!

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I bake a lot of cookies I decorate them and stack the cookie sheets criss crossing them. I leave them in another room overnight to dry. It saves a lot of space!

    ReplyDelete
  11. do you sell your cookies and ship them by chance?

    ReplyDelete
  12. How do I find you on Instagram????
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great tips!! Those darn sleeves tend to get in the way :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the great tips. I'll be decorating cookies for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this idea--which I already read in your cookbook!

    http://www.shilohstaste.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ah, I remember the days...I did mine the exact same way! Worked like a charm...
    Renee - Kudos Kitchen

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are so funny! I just got your book last week from Amazon. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Don't know why I didn't think of this. Of course living in a small apartment I'm not sure I have space to store extra cookie sheets. Under the bed maybe? Not like I'll be wanting to bake with the el cheapos I'll buy just for this purpose so no crusty gunk under the bed.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for the tips! I will definitely be picking up some extra cookie sheets before the holiday baking begins for this very purpose!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Extra cookie sheets will for sure be on my baking wish list. For now I will just dominate the kitchen table and make my poor husband eat picnic style on the floor.

    ReplyDelete
  21. (More) Great tips, Bridget!

    Cookie sheets (and cooling racks) are always on my list. You're right... You can never have too many!

    Yard sales, Goodwill and thrift stores are great places to pick up a few low-cost extras for decorating purposes.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  22. Cookie sheets are the best kitchen tools. Very smart to not put cookies in the middle rows I generally drag my arm across the ones on the border if I do that. For me trays are indispensable for taking items around the house for photo shoots. XO

    ReplyDelete
  23. My seeing those cute cookies inspires me to make some too. Always love great ideas in here. Got my eye on your next posts.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Such a great idea! How timely were planning to bake cookies for the coming holiday as
    giveaway for our valued customers.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I recently had to make a ton of cookies and ran out of cookie sheets so I used these cheap plastic round serving trays and they are perfect! The lip isn't too big and you can turn it just a bit to have each cookies in the perfect spot. Sort of like a lazy susan that doesn't move. :o). Love your blog and book!

    ReplyDelete
  26. How obvious. I'm just shocking at decorating cookies so it's time I invested in your book. I definitely need some literary hand holding.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Bridget, these cookies are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Haha! You make me laugh, and I love the tips - you make decorating cookies so easy!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Pin It button on image hover