Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Continuing on with the Cheerios Motif...

Salted caramel.  Have you tried it?  

Now, I'm a chocolate girl, through and through, but salted caramel has me a bit smitten. I had a salted caramel cupcake in Seattle that was absolute perfection.  Don't even get me started on Teresa's Salted Caramel Frosting.

After making the Peanut Butter Cup Cheerios Bars, these Dulce de Leche Cheerios started calling my name.

Caramel Cheerios are perfectly delicious in a bowl with milk, and would be perfectly delicious in a bar on their own.  But, BUT (!), with layers of salted caramel sauce and just a *sprinkling* of flaky sea salt to make SALTED CARAMEL CHEERIOS BARS?  Oh baby.

{Did you know that food bloggers are not supposed to use the word "delicious?"  I just used it twice in the same sentence.  I hope I don't get kicked out of the union.}
 

Salted Caramel Cheerios Bars


for the sauce:
1 (14 oz.) package Kraft caramels, unwrapped
1/3 cup evaporated milk
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt

for the bars:
3 TBSP salted butter
1 (10 oz.) package marshmallows
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
6 cups Dulce de Leche Cheerios
flaky sea salt

Grease a 8" or 9" square pan and set aside.
In a medium saucepan, heat the caramels and evaporated milk over low heat, stirring frequently, until melted.  Stir in the salt.  Keep warm over very low heat and stir occasionally while making the bars.

In a large pot or a dutch-oven, heat the butter, marshmallows, and vanilla over low heat until melted.  Remove from heat and stir in the Cheerios.
Place your hand in a baggie, spray with cooking spray and use your covered hand to press 1/2 of the mixture into the pan.  Drizzle on a heaping 1/4 cup of the caramel sauce.
Add the remaining Cheerios mixture on top.  Drizzle on 1/3 cup of the caramel sauce.  Sprinkle on flaky sea salt.  Set aside to cool and set before serving. (A bench scraper is the best tool for cutting.)

One word of warning...you will have extra caramel sauce.  Use it as an ice cream topping, to drizzle on your morning latte, or. or. or....do like I did and grab a spoon.

Dear Cheerios, may I suggest your next flavor be birthday cake? ;)

36 comments:

  1. Yep I'll be trying those:)!!! Thanks for postung

    ReplyDelete
  2. they look phenomenal! everything about them - love RKTreats (or Cheerios Treats!) and love caramel, marshmallows, everything.

    "Did you know that food bloggers are not supposed to use the word "delicious?" -- yes, I did (blogged about the conundrum) and it's ironic because sometimes when something is as DELICIOUS as your bars, there are no other words for them :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes! I am loving every bit of this! It looks (dare I say it) delicious! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. these look so good! I love Cheerios and caramel! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I first heard about a flavor called "Salted Caramel" when my daughter was working in Beverly Hills for a month. During one of her rare free weekends, she went to Sprinkles, a cupcake shop known for it's lines and moist, delicious cake-filled cups.

    She bought be my first salted caramel cupcake, and since then, it's a flavor combination after my own heart.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummmm! Delicious, delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Salted Caramel has {maybe} trumped chocolate is my world. I feel like a traitor...but in a good way!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, I need this. I love salted caramel anything, but this is great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't tried these Cheerios yet. I will be trying them in your bars!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmm! This looks and sounds like something I need to try - I'm a chocolate girl too, but you've got me convinced!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Eeeee...Cheerios are my FAVORITE! I had a bowl every.single.morning. growing up, and still love indulging whenever possible. Can only imagine how perfect they would be with caramel!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh LORD these look good! I need to find those Cheerios!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You thrill me!!! LOVE this Cheerios kick you are on! So fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my goodness... You're killing me here! I have never seen caramel Cheerios, but I am on the hunt. And I will make these this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Totally delicious!!!!! I love how you make me laugh....and hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am madly in love with Salted Caramel.

    And these bars.

    And you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Birthday Cake Cheerios! I hope that actually happens :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Salted caramel has become a personal obsession for me... thank you for giving me a new, delicious vehicle!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Birthday cake! Good idea! Like seeing Mom's plate!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yumminess! I haven't ever thought of using cheerios. I also need to try this new flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  21. These look amazing but, I want to come over and eat all your caramels! Hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh my goodness, this is seriously amazing. And I LOVE salted caramel.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Holy moley! Dulce de Leche Cheerios!?! Seriously? Whose idea was that? I love rice krispie bars - but they may just have been replaced in my affections. I'm tying myself to my chair to prevent me from running to the grocery store right now for supplies.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh, Bridget, this looks divine. My family would love this!

    ReplyDelete
  25. WOW I need some of those dulce de leche cheerios in my life!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I was looking for a unique and yummy recipe for a bake sale this weekend, and this was my pick! They were delicious and a hit! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Salted caramel! YES!!
    Oh and Birthday Cake Cheerios sound fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  28. i love salted Caraamel but ofcourse my mom doesn't know How to make them ..very say . I always used to buy from local shop which cost three times than the actual preparation , so i mostly ignore eating them...

    Blogger Widgets

    ReplyDelete
  29. These look freaking awesome. I'm going to have to see if I can find that version of Cheerios!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Bridget,
    You should buy Kraft Caramel Bits, so you don't have to unwrap all those caramels.

    These look fantastic, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I just made these tonight as a back-to-school treat for my kids! Now, I'm worried they might not make it until the morning! ;)
    These are so good - thank you for sharing your recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Renea- Did you use the Kraft Caramel Bits? I can't find the individually wrapped caramels (well, I did find some 1.5oz bags, but didn't want to buy 10 of them). Did you just use one whole bag of caramel bits (11oz), or measure out 3oz from a second bag? I have everything else ready to go, just don't want to mess up the best part!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Renea- Did you use the Kraft Caramel Bits? I can't find the individually wrapped caramels (well, I did find some 1.5oz bags, but didn't want to buy 10 of them). Did you just use one whole bag of caramel bits (11oz), or measure out 3oz from a second bag? I have everything else ready to go, just don't want to mess up the best part!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  34. MM yum these look great! I have leftover salted caramel from salted caramel buttercream I used in this cake here: http://sewlahteadough.blogspot.ca/2013/02/its-your-birthday-and-its-super-bowl.html and also leftover Cheerios we never finished eating! Can't wait to try this recipe :-) Thanks for posting!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Pin It button on image hover