Christmas Cookies Inspired by Starbucks

I am somewhat addicted to Starbucks. Which is a little strange considering I'm off caffeine and am lactose-intolerant.  So, that's me, ordering a decaf and popping a Lactaid.  Ah, middle age.

Anyhoo...that's also me in the drive-thru.  Besides being off caffeine and lactose-intolerant, I'm lazy.  When my sweet Mr. E doesn't pick up morning Starbucks, I'm typically hiding out in the car, checking twitter while I cruise through the drive-thru line.

BUT, every now and then...when my hair looks good...I go IN Starbucks.  And that is where I saw these cute and simple holly mugs.  Now, a normal person would look at them and think, "hmm...that would make a nice gift for Aunt Suzy."  And crazed cookie-maker (me) looks at it and thinks, "I must make that a cookie."

And I did.

Starbucks Holly Mug Cookies: you will need...

With a #2 tip, outline the square in green icing. (Forest green would be pretty here, too.)

Thin the green icing with water, a bit at a time, until it is the consistency of thick syrup.  Cover with a damp dish towel and let sit several minutes.

Stir gently with a rubber spatula and transfer icings to a squeeze bottle.


Fill in the squares in green.  Use a toothpick to spread to edges and pop large air bubbles.

Wait at least 1 hour.


With a #7 tip, pipe holly berries on the cookies in white icing.  Use a #2 tip, outline holly leaves.

Thin the white icing with water, a bit at a time, until it is the consistency of thick syrup.  Cover with a damp dish towel and let sit several minutes.

Stir gently with a rubber spatula and transfer icings to a squeeze bottle.


Fill in the leaves in white.  Use a toothpick to spread to edges and pop large air bubbles.

Let dry overnight.


Time to add some sparkle!!!


Mix 1/4 tsp. meringue powder with 1/4 tsp. water.  With a small paintbrush, apply to the holly.  Sprinkle on the disco dust, then shake off the excess over the coffee filter.  (The filter will act as a funnel to put the excess back in the container.)


Use a dry paintbrush to help remove the excess. Disco dust will get everywhere!


So, thank you Starbucks....for the decaf hazelnut cappuccinos AND the inspiration!  See y'all at the drive-thru! 
SHARE:
Blogger Template by pipdig