Sunday, July 4, 2010

Coconut Almond Ice Cream Drumsticks : TLC Cake Crew Challenge

 
{They are not the prettiest, but I promise you, they are oh-so-good!}

You may or may not have noticed a little button my my sidebar that says "TLC Cake Crew."  Well, TLC (yes,the channel of Cake Boss and Stacy & Clinton) asked me (me!) to be one of about 20 bloggers in their Cake Crew.  Of course, after checking to make sure they didn't send the offer to me by mistake (shhh...don't tell TLC I make cookies), I said, "YES!"

They issued a little challenge to us....make a video about a summer dessert.  Oh yeah, and they mailed us all cute little TLC Flip camcorder to make the videos.  Now that's an offer I can't refuse.

So, here's my video of Coconut Almond Ice Cream Drumsticks. Think of  an Almond Joy candy bar, frozen.


{Even if you're not up for making the drumsticks, give the ice cream a try.  Just serve it in a bowl with a couple big ol' dollops of fudge sauce.  Mr. E told me last night that this is his new favorite ice cream!}

Coconut Almond Ice Cream

2 pasteurized eggs
3/4 c. sugar
1 c.  milk
2 c. heavy cream
1 (15 oz) can cream of coconut
1/2 c. salted almonds, roughly chopped
1 c. sweetened, shredded coconut

Whisk the eggs until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.  Gradually add in the sugar, whisking until incorporated and then 1 more minute.  Whisk in the cream and milk.  Add the cream of coconut, whisking until blended.

Add this to your ice cream maker and follow the instructions for freezing.

With 2-3 minutes to go in the freezing cycle, add in the almonds and coconut.

Transfer this soft ice cream to freezer-safe containers.  Cover with plastic wrap, pressing into the ice cream.  Place in the freezer to harden, 4 hours or overnight.

Cones:

1 and 1/2 c. chocolate chips
1 TBSP shortening
18 chocolate chips
6 sugar cones

When the ice cream is hardened, melt the chocolate chips and shortening in a bowl over a pan of simmering water.  Let cool several minutes.

Place 3 chocolate chips in the bottom of each cone to prevent leaks.  Add a spoonful of melted chocolate to the inside of each cone, twirling it with the spoon to coat the insides.  Place in the freezer for a few minutes.

Fill the cones with the ice cream, then add a scoop on top.  Spoon over more melted, and cooled, chocolate onto the tops.  (A thick coating is difficult to bite through, so use a light hand.

Return to the freezer to set up.  Serve with LOTS of napkins!!!


Two other items for you:
  1. My friend, Mandy, from Gourmet Mom on-the-Go competed in the Real Woman of Philadelphia (as in Philly Cream Cheese) competition, hosted by none other than Paula Deen.  You guys, SHE WON!!!  Mandy is one of 4 winners and I could not be happier for her!  Click here to read more about it.
  2. There are some new videos over on University of Cookie...and more to come in the next two weeks.  We also have a new feature called, "Cookie Maker of the Month."  Want to know who our Miss July is? Come have a look!

31 comments:

  1. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. These cones look beautiful and delicious. The combination of almonds and coconut...yummy. I loved this video with all your *fade in - fade out* comments. This is a super submission to the TLC Cake Crew Challenge. You are one-in-a million Bridget with beauty, brains, talent and a wickedly funny sense of humour.

    P.S. I think your new haircut is adorable :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. mini marshmallows are also good/fun leak stoppers for the bottom of cones

    ReplyDelete
  3. omg!!!! you are just amazing! <3

    Kate

    http://f3style.blogpsot.com
    http://sweetlife-toronto.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look so wonderful! I make so much home made but drumsticks never crossed my mind they sound delish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are the prettiest because they look the YUMMIEST!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL...can't wait to see your next video after you have taken Tripod 101. Looks yummy anyway.
    Thanks for sharing with us.
    ´*•.¸(´*•.¸♥¸.•*´)¸.•*´
    ♥•.*.Thank you.*.•♥
    ♥•.*.very much.*.•♥
    ¸.•*´(¸.•*´♥´*•.¸)´*•.¸

    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow. You just keep impressing me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum! I bet those are sooo good. And the ice cream with the sweet and saltiness of the almonds and a little crunch! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sweetie...This recipe is like a dream come true. That coconut and almonds you added. God...I think I drooled a little bit.

    I love drumsticks and I love the chocolate chips you put to prevent the icecream and chocolate from leaking.

    Congrats!!! I love it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an amazing offer! Congratulations! You're big time now! Love the cones too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. YUM! Almond Joy candy bars are super yummy. But ice cream that tastes like them?!?! Oh my!

    www.makingmemorieswithyourkids.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my God this is what i love. I am not only talking about this post but this blog too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I bet it would be fun to sprinkle a few chopped almonds on top of the chocolate! Your video made me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations! Sounds pretty exciting. Wonderful summer dessert. My kids would go nuts for this:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. My first thought when I saw the drumsticks was, "Gee, those are so pretty!" Anything draped in chocolate is pretty. So I LOVED your video! I was cracking up with the remarks at the bottom about the tripod! so cute. You did a great job. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  16. 向著星球長驅直進的人,反比踟躕在峽路上的人,更容易達到目的。............................................................

    ReplyDelete
  17. Man, I was gonna say what the comment before me said! Oh well. ;)

    Love this... am SOOOO trying out this recipe!

    Be blessed-
    Amanda

    P.S. Your pictures are perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Briget, these cones look delicious and the icream seems so easy to make. You look wonderful in the video, I love your open kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  19. My girls watched this with me and they SOOO want to make those cones!!! How yummy!!!!!

    and your new haircut is ADORABLE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is sooo good. Made it today and husband LOVED it. I think it's his new favorite ice cream!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love your video Bridgette! You need your own baking show. Great idea on using your icing holder for the cones. I'm so excited you got selected for the TLC cake crew. Way to go girl! Can't wait to see all of your upcoming creations.

    ReplyDelete
  22. LOVE the video!!!! hahaha Tripod 101! I don't have an icecream maker but I sure want to find one and try this recipe!!!! (any suggestions on a good one??)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congrats Bridget! Love the video and cones, definitely going to make them soon!

    ReplyDelete
  24. They look so awesome. I can't wait till my little baby girl is older and I can make fun stuff with this!

    ReplyDelete
  25. These are perfect...Brings back memories, minus the exceptional flavors of coconut and almond - my fav from the ice cream truck as a kid:)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Bridget, those are amazing, amazing , amazing!! I'm running to the store right now to get all the ingredients!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Way to rock that apron Bridget ;) as pretty as store bought drumsticks may look, I highly doubt they would ever be as tasty as your homemade version! And those flavors... YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Cute! Love your yummy video, and you look so fab in that apron ;) This little contest was so fun, I can't wait for the next one!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great contest, great fun!! You're a natural, atleast on the right side of the camera :P

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Pin It button on image hover