Tuesday, June 1, 2010

I know what boys like, I know what guys want . . .

...well, not really. But, I am dedicating the month of June on the blog to MEN! That's right....it's time for:

Desserts for Dudes!

We do a lot of cute around here and I thought the month of Fathers' Day was the perfect time to go macho and honor our dads, husbands, sons, brothers, uncles with sugar. On the blog and twitter, I asked what your dad's favorite dessert is. Turns out, dads have a lot of favorites. But, there was a winner.....PIE, and not just any pie, pecan pie!

This recipe I cut out of a magazine years ago. There isn't a magazine name at the bottom, but just "October/November 2004." I knew I was hanging on to this baby for a reason!

Caramel Pecan Pie
{adapted from unknown magazine 2004 :)}

crust:
1 c. unbleached, all-purpose flour
1/2 c. cake flour
1 TBSP sugar
1/2 tsp. coarse salt
6 TBSP unsalted butter, cut into pieces
3 TBSP shortening, chilled
3-4 TBSP ice water

filling:
1 c. heavy whipping cream
2 TBSP unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1 & 1/3 c. sugar
1/2 c. water
1 TBSP corn syrup
2 & 1/2 c. pecan halves
2 tsp. vanilla


Line a baking sheet with parchment. Place pecans on a baking sheet in a single layer and bake at 350 for 5 minutes. Set aside to cool.

In a food processor, pulse the flours, sugar and salt until combined. Add the butter and cold shortening; pulse until the mixture looks like coarse crumbs with a few pea-sized clumps. Add 3 TBSP water and pulse until a dough just begins to form. Add more water, 1 teaspoon at a time if needed.

Dump the dough onto a lightly floured surface and roll into a 12" circle. Place in a 10" (9" is ok) pie tin. Trim and flute the edges. Place in the freezer for 30 minutes, or until firm.

Preheat the oven to 375. Line the crust with foil and fill with dried beans or pie weights. Bake in the lower half of the oven 15 minutes; remove foil and beans and bake an additional 20 minutes, until the crust is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.

For the filling, heat the cream and 2 TBSP butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. When butter melts and the mixture is hot, remove from heat and cover to keep warm.

Combine sugar, water and corn syrup in a medium saucepan. Cover and cook over medium heat, without stirring, until sugar dissolves.

Dip a pastry brush in water. Uncover the pan and brush the sides with the wet pastry brush to brush down any stray sugar crystals. Increase heat to med-high and boil until sugar becomes a golden brown (about 5 minutes).

Remove from heat. Slowly add the cream, the mixture WILL bubble up, and stir until the boiling stops and the mixture is smooth. Stir in the pecans and vanilla.

Let sit 15 minutes (I forgot to do this...oh, no! This may be why mine was a little runny.)

Pour into baked crust and let sit at least 3 hours until cooled and set. (You can stick in the the fridge once cooled.)


Now, *I* thought a brown sugar whipped cream would be delicious with this. Mr. E assured me that ice cream is much more manly, soooooooo, top this pie with ice cream.
If you don't have time to (or interest in) making ice cream, let me suggest Haagen-Dazs 5-ingredient ice cream, Vanilla Bean. I am not a big fan of plain ol' vanilla ice cream. This ice cream, though, with its flecks of vanilla bean, I could eat in one sitting. It's creamy, vanilla-y and decadent! Trust me.


The pie is delicious...the caramel with the pecans all tucked into a buttery crust...but I'll admit, it is a bit soupy. Now, Mr. E assures me this is not a problem...it tastes good and that's what counts. Hey, it's Desserts for Dudes, who am I to argue?

Well, I hope during this month, you'll see one of your dude's favorite desserts! We'll be back to pink and sprinkles next month, not to worry. :)

{Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a 2nd piece of pie to eat!}

And, thank you, thank you to MutheringHeight who helped in the naming of this month! Duuude, you rock!

46 comments:

  1. I think you should rename this, "Dessert for Mary!" This is practically my dream dessert, has been bookmarked and will be made stat! I'm drooling and I'm so tempted to get into the kitchen right now - yum!

    xxMK
    Delightful Bitefuls

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH BRIDGET!
    Man LOVING BRIDGET!
    I knew there was a reason MY GREG has a CRUSH on "BRIDGET....@ 350!"
    yeah!
    He really does!
    He'll say...and I QUOTE....
    "Now is that BRIDGET?
    BRIDGET...@ 350!!!!!"
    He's allllll about BRIDGET!
    And just wait!
    Just wait til I let him get a look at this PECAN PIE!!!!!!!
    OH ME!
    OH MY!
    He will be LOVING and adoring YOU even more!
    Bridget...the pie is PERFECTION!
    We're in SINK my friend!
    This weekend must have been alllll about pleasin' our MANLY MEN!
    I made Greg's favorite....
    OATMEAL COOKIES....MY STYLE...
    and CHIVE RISOTTO Cakes!
    yeah!
    I shocked myself and made Greg some RISOTTO!
    I made a FANTASY happen for him...
    I swear I did!
    He LOVES risotto!
    ANd up until this weekend...
    he had only enjoyed risotto in fancy places to eat!
    Pop over...you'll see!
    ANd I'm featuring the cookies...
    later in the week!
    Our MEN are so LUCKY!
    But we're LUCKY too!
    I'm DELIGHTED...thrilled that you are ALL ABOUT OUR MEN this month!
    Is this part of your hubby's Happy Father's Day present!
    Well I know he is honored!
    Looking forward to all the MANLY ACTION!
    xoxoxoxoxoxo
    YOU ROCK BRIDGET....@ 350!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - that pie looks AMAZING! Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is one of my dad's favorites! I just love your pics....I am drooling!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your Desserts for Dudes idea! This pie looks amazing! Pecan pie is my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm loving this Dessert for Dudes! The pie looks delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This pie looks fabulous! Having 4 Men/Boys at home I can't wait to see what other amazing treats you'll be sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  8. very manly :)
    very cute month..can't wait to see what you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great idea. I love pecans and with ice cream is even better. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Desserts for Dudes!! I LOVE it!!
    and this pie looks A-MAZING!

    can you believe my hubby doesn't like many baked goods??? crazy isn't he? he LOVES candy (like a big kid)...and he only eats a small percentage of what I bake.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This pie looks amazing! I can't wait to read all of your June posts. What a great idea to feature man-loving desserts!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My hubby loves pie too! Guess what his fav is? Yes, pecan! I've made it twice, once it was soupy (we actually poured it over the vanilla ice cream:) and once it was hard (we smiled while we avoided breaking a tooth:). O'kay, he's given me 19 wonderful years of marriage, I guess I can try to give him a pecan pie. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. My guy would love this dessert! And me also, as a steal bites from his plate!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Pecan pie is definitely one of my boyfriend's favourite dessert along with pumpkin pie! I love the idea of making June a month for men, they always get looked over admist the sprinkles, fluffy frosting and cute cupcakes. Looking forward to more macho recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wowee that looks good! I don't like pecan pie because of the texture but maybe if it was soupy...with caramel...mmmmmm. I wonder if The Hubble likes pecan pie. Thanks for sharing! Oh, and I love this month's theme!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. YUMMMMM~ My hubby only likes PIE so will have to try this~

    ReplyDelete
  18. *Soupy* or not, your pie looks wonderfully inviting and your crust looks as if it would melt in your mouth. That 5 Vanilla Bean ice cream looks great with it too! Your husband won't be able to keep himself out of your kitchen this month. Great feature idea Bridget.

    ReplyDelete
  19. PERFECT kick-off...all the men in my family LOVE Pecan Pie!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think anyone would love this dessert:)

    ReplyDelete
  21. My husband loves Pecan Pie... this one sounds great, Bridget!

    ReplyDelete
  22. WOW! This looks super good!

    www.makingmemorieswithyourkids.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love your theme for June! What a fun idea. Can't wait to see what else you bake up!

    ReplyDelete
  24. You definitely know what kind of dessert my boyfriend likes. Pecan pie is one of his favorites. I prefer chocolate pecan pie. Come to think of it, most of the desserts he likes are non-chocolate, and most of the ones I like have tons of chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  25. And I like it too! :) Can't wait to see the next dudely dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great idea for June! My husband's favorite pie is pecan. Yours looks super yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I don't think pecan pie is limited to the dudes either. Your pecan pie looks absolutely SINFUL.

    ReplyDelete
  28. The title of this post alone makes it a winner. Oh, and it looks absolutely delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. My Dude would love that dessert!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. How funny! Both my dad and father in law go ga-ga for pecan pie! I wonder what it is about a nutty pie that hooks the men!

    ReplyDelete
  31. hmmm...i definitely think my dad would like this. mmm...

    ReplyDelete
  32. Congratulations. I have given you an award at http://bakerscanvas.blogspot.com/2010/06/versatile-bloggers-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  33. I'm thinking my dudes would enjoy that pie, with ice cream! :)
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  34. Yum! I love pecan Pie, now I have an excuse to make it :D

    ReplyDelete
  35. O.k. even though I'm not a dude, I'd love to jump into THAT gooey deliciousness, like right now!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Oh my goodness - YUM!! That pie looks amazing and it's made with all of my favorite things - thank you for the fabulous recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Ha...I just showed my hubby your post and he instantly responded with, "You must make that for me!" Can't wait to see what other desserts for dudes you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Now that looks truly yummy! Love the idea of the desserts for dudes!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Ooh... This looks good! I could make it for my hubby, but I think I'd rather make it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Hi, it's Liz from Nestle. We love following your blog, and we LOVE HÄAGEN-DAZS Five ice cream. It's really our best ice cream!

    I wanted to give you a link to more recipes using HÄAGEN-DAZS:

    http://www.meals.com/Meals-Tools/Recipe-Finder.aspx?ingredients=Haagen-Dazs&sort=7&dir=False

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Just made this pie TWICE. It sounded so good. The first one was too runny. Thought it was a fluke so made it again. Still runny. Maybe I will be able to perfect it sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  42. yum!! but don't think my hubby would be a fan...he likes nuts to eat one at a time or by the handful but seldom in anything. i love pecan pie though...have fond memories of mom making little tartlets for parties with it or making pralines...happy yummy tummy memories

    ReplyDelete
  43. Military pilot who had sex with an 11 year old boy when he was 17!!!
    A JUNIOR IN HIGH SCHOOL WHO HAD SEX WITH AN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL STUDENT!!! He needs to be on a sexual preditor list.

    And how long did he masterbate and think about having sex with boys? In boot camp? Into his flight training?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Pin It button on image hover