Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Princess Cookie Flavoring . . . Works For Me Wednesday

Have you ever eaten a sugar cookie from Potbelly Sandwich Works? They are not decorated sugar cookies, but the soft kind that will bend in the middle, sprinkled with sparkling sugar....buttery, a little citrus-y...really delicious. My sister and I have become a little obsessed with them.

I've been trying to figure out just what their secret is. When I saw this Princess Bakery Emulsion, I thought I might be on to something.

Now, I don't think it's the secret to Potbelly's cookies, and I still like the vanilla-almond flavor of my regular cookies, but it is nice. It adds a certain creamy orange/nutty taste.

Remember these? I used the Princess flavoring in them. My brother-in-law asked if I had done something different with the cookies and said that he really liked them. It gave me great pleasure to tell my Iraq war vet, personal trainer brother-in-law that what he liked was PRINCESS bakery emulsion. :)

So, if you're looking for a new flavor to shake up your sugar cookies, this just might work for you.

And, Potbelly...if you're out there...can you tell us your secret, please?!?
For more WFMW ideas, visit Kristen at We Are THAT Family. My WFMW archives are here.

17 comments:

  1. I totally second that! People always love the cookies I make with Princess Cake & Cookie Emulsion. Gives it that "secret ingredient" taste! I've never had a Potbelly cookie, but they sound very interesting. Good luck in trying to crack their recipe. I've recently started a search for the Lofthouse Frosted Sugar Cookie recipe. Any pointers? :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmmmm, never heard of this - so is it a flavoring you'd use inplace of vanilla? - GREAT just what I need, another "new thing to try" LOL

    off to check this stuff out!.....

    ~TidyMom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dorothy - I think you can get close to Lofthouse by making Cakemix cookies - have you made them before? YUM!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not heard of this... but by now I should know that you are hip to great trends before me... you are just a totally hip baker!!!

    Blessings-
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never heard of this but since I too am a princess, I suspect I should be finding me some! Thanks for sharing!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. We buy Potbelly's by the dozen! And their oatmeal choco. chip are some of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Popped in to say hi! This is SOOOO cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love emulsions and have been using the buttery sweet dough in my cakes for a long time now. I love it! I will have to give this one a try!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've wanted to try it but didn't want to order any without hearing from someone I "knew" first. Thanks for sharing!
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks divine! I'm going to have to try that. My baking days are on hold for a while... toomuchsugarinmybody. ugggh

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dorothy, I have a recipe that I think is very similar to the Lofthouse cookies.

    Btw, I love this site. I heard about it from Amanda's site, thanks Amanda for the tip :)

    I'll have to check into the Princess Cookie flavoring stuff. I don't make to many cookies...yet. I'm more of a cake person, but I hope to start working more with cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE the oatmeal chocolate chip cookies from Potbelly's! Whenever I want a good splurge lunch for cheap, I get an Italian sandwich and a cookie from Potbelly. YUM

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never had Potbellies, but perhaps this Fiori di Sicilia is what you're looking for? It takes a great "something special" to sugar cookies.

    http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/fiori-di-sicilia-1-oz

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hobby Lobby sells this--nice to use a 40% off coupon on!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just discovered your blog and LOVE it! I am obsessed with the Dream Bar from Potbellys - I even tried to decipher the recipe based on the ingredients label. If you can figure out the dream bars you will win the crown of Best Baker Ever!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This baker may have cracked the recipe: http://www.cookiemadness.net/2011/04/potbelly-sugar-cookies/ She used the McCormick Vanilla, Butter & Nut Extract. I bought some (not McCormick) at Walmart and I've been looking for something to use it in. I think I'll try these. I've never had Potbelly's, so I guess I'm going to have to go get some.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Pin It button on image hover