Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Pie Pointers...Works For Me Wednesday


A few tips for fruit pies that worked for me for Flavor-of-the-Month Pie Edition...
crust rolled out
  1. To prevent a soggy bottom crust, brush on a thin layer of lightly beaten egg white before adding the fruit. (This tip I picked up from Martha years ago.)
  2. For a perfectly baked bottom crust, bake the pie on the bottom rack of your oven. (I tried this tip from King Arthur Flour with my last pie and it worked beautifully!)
peach pie w ice cream
Hope these tips work for you! We Are THAT Family is hosting all of the Works For Me Wednesday tips. See you there!

Looking for more? My WFMW archives are here.

Come back tomorrow for a no bake, no measure, no mixing, delicious dessert!

15 comments:

  1. Love these tips! They are new to me and I can't wait to test them out. A soggy bottom crust is always such a disappointment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are great tips! Does the egg white trick only work for blind-baked crusts (isn't that what it's called when you bake it empty?) or do you do that with fruit pies that you fill and then bake?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love learning tips. It's always helpful:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melanee...the trick works on the unbaked dough before adding the fruit. Actually, I bet it would work great with blind-baked pies, also! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the tips, Bridget! I'll try the egg white trick next time I bake pie :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome tips! I have never been able to produce a great pie. I'm working on it though!

    :)

    Stop by and visit me over at Free2BeFrugal.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks! I have plans to make a fruit pie real soon!!!

    ~TidyMom

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great tips! I will definitely be using these! Very cute blog btw!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My "apple pie flashback" is underway...my mouth is watering already. Dang, that was GOOOOD!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you thank you thank you I have always wondered how to solve that problem!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. thanks for those tips, they look very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the great tips! I am a horribe pie maker. But I haven't given up yet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the tips, Bridget! I'll try the egg white trick next time I bake pie :)

    ___________________
    Smarry
    Online Marketing of your brand

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great tips Bridget! I will be trying those with my next pie... hubs already has his mouth watering looking forward to fat apple pie this fall.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ooooh. Thanks this is a great tip!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Pin It button on image hover