Monday, June 29, 2009

Viva Italia!

One of my favorite customers (ok....it was my sister) ordered these cookies for her father-in-law for Father's Day. He loves his Italian heritage...and when you come from the land of prosciutto, parmesan and amaretto, what's not to love?!?
italian cookies closer
We put our heads together trying to come up with "Italian" cookies. What did we came up with? Flags and pizza. :)
viva italia
If you have an Italy lover in your life, you might want to consider making these flag cookies. They are really cute and a great cookie if you're just starting with flooding cookies:

  1. Using a #2 tip, outline the flag in white royal icing and divide into 3 sections. Reserve some of this icing for detail.
  2. Thin red, white and green icings with water until they reach the consistency of a thick syrup. Cover with a damp dish towel. Let sit several minutes.
  3. Run a rubber spatula through the icings and transfer to squeeze bottles.
  4. Fill in the sections of the flag, using a toothpick to guide into corners.
  5. Let dry at least one hour.
  6. If desired, switch the tip on the un-thinned white icing to a #1 and write "viva italia" across the flags.
italian cookies
Ciao Bella! ;)

Remember to enter the patriotic pancake pan giveaway!!! The winner will be chosen tomorrow (Tuesday)!

22 comments:

  1. Those are awesome; I love the pizza!!

    I have been trying to think of an easy one to start with...do you have any summer cookie ideas for the cookie-challenged? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pizza slices! What a great idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. very very cute! I love the pizza slices. Have never made either of those cookies...
    Tracy ~ what about watermelon slices? Those are cute and pretty easy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The pizza slices are too cute. You are so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  5. awesome and super cute! you are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's just cute. I have an Italian brother-in-law who would LOVE those.

    ReplyDelete
  7. THESE ARE AMAZING!!!!!!!!!
    AWESOME IDEA!!!
    Thanks so much!
    Sophie, Sydney-Australia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Flags and pizza. I would say that's pretty Eye-italian! Mama mia!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mike loved these! He sent me a picture with a big Grazie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My little two year old was standing beside me while I was looking and said "Pizza cookies!!!" - you combined two of his favorite things! Wonderful job as always! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your blog! Your work is so beautiful and your posts, so helpful!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How cute are these- I love the little mushrooms on the pizza!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just saw this now - watermelon slices, what a great idea! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Tracy...I think watermelon slices would be great, too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. half of my hubby's family is italian - thanks for the great gift idea!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi! I love these. I'm Italian! I love your blog too. I am your newest follower! I invite you to follow back!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Bridget these are so cute. What cookie cutter did you use for the pizza slice?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm going to my Italian language class tomorrow night and am just finishing upna batch of these wonderful flag cookies. This is my first time to decorate cookies with outlining and flooding and for a first attempt I'm pretty excited by the results. I'm on a hiatus from my own blog but as soon as I get posting again your blog will get a huge recommend. Love it! Thanks for a great blog and wonderful ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great idea for pizza!thumbs up!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Pin It button on image hover