Friday, October 10, 2008

Sassy Spiderwebs

I just love these spiderwebs with the bright colors added, but really, you could use any colors!

  • With black icing and a #2 or #3 tip, pipe a spiderweb outline onto a round cookie. (Spectrum Super Black)
  • Thin the background color, as well as 1 or 2 contrasting colors with water to the consistency of syrup. Cover with a damp towel and let sit several minutes.
  • Run a rubber spatula gently through the icings to pop the bubbles that have risen to the top. Transfer to squeeze bottles.
  • About 6 cookies at a time, fill in the background with the thinned flood icing. Use a toothpick to draw into the corners and edges.
  • Now with the contrasting color/s, draw 3 circles onto the wet background icing.
  • Starting in the middle of the circles, use a toothpick to drag the icing toward each spiderweb point.
  • Let dry at least one hour.
  • Using a large round tip such as a #7 or #12....whatever you have on hand, pipe a spider body.
  • Change the tip to a #1 or #2, and pipe eight legs.

11 comments:

  1. These are really cute. I love the fact that you used the different colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think these are some of your prettiest cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK I JUST MADE THE PUMKIN SPICE BALLS AND OMG!!!! THEY ARE ALMOST TOO GOOD YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN. I AM THINKING OF MAKING THEM FOR A CHURCH FUNCTION SO I NEEDED TO TRY THEM OUT FIRST. ALSO,THESE SPIDER WEBS ARE ADORABLE :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These "sassy spiderwebs" came out great! I LOVE the color you used.

    ReplyDelete
  5. orange and pink! My favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to be you when I grow up.
    :-) Just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the different colors on the spider webs, so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. And Julia....I want to be you! Or, at least work in your office to get some of those wonderful desserts!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi there. new to your blog and I love it!

    Question though.. the icing that you use.. do you make it from scratch? or purchase it somewhere?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Jen! I do make the royal icing...it's really simple. You can find several different brands of meringue powder to use. I like Ateco the best.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I forgot to post a link to the spider web cookies you inspired me to make for halloween! thank you!!
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=162345193796739&set=a.159948070703118.32063.150356274995631

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Pin It button on image hover