Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Dem Bones

The idea for these cookies came from the booklet, Martha Stewart Cookie Decorating (Simple Techniques For Extra-Special Treats). The link will get you to Amazon, but unfortunately, it is out-of-stock. My sister bought me this book last year from Michael's, but I haven't seen it there in a while. It's a great little 24-page book filled with ideas and instructions.
I always get nervous trying a new cookie idea, but every time I look at these, they make me laugh. I really like them. I used AmeriColor Avocado coloring for the skeletons and they ended up a ghostly green color, almost like glow-in-the-dark. I hadn't planned it that way, but it turned out pretty cool.Here's a question for all of you....sanding sugar or no? I started applying it like Martha suggests and then couldn't decide if I liked them better plain or not, so I did half and half. What do you think? I'm already planning for next year. :)
I'm mailing these...and some others...to my dad so he can hand them out at work. Stay tuned later in the week for tombstones!
To make the skeleton/coffin cookies:
  • Pipe a coffin shape in black icing, using a #2 tip. (Spectrum Super Black)
  • Thin black icing with water to a consistency of syrup. cover with a damp towel and let sit several minutes.
  • Run a rubber spatula through the icing to pop air bubbles that have formed on top. Transfer to a squeeze bottle.
  • Fill in the coffins with the thinned black flood icing.
  • Let dry at least 1 hour.
  • Using a #2 tip and light green icing, pipe a skeleton shape on the coffins. (AmeriColor Avocado)
  • Before this icing has set, use the black piping icing to make eyes and a mouth on the face.
  • If using sanding sugar, let the cookies dry overnight.
  • Mix a little meringue powder with water and brush on the skeleton shape using a small paintbrush.
  • Sprinkle with clear sanding sugar.

20 comments:

  1. I think I prefer the ones without the sugar. Like the bones should be smoother or something. Anyway, those are really adorable cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, sans sanding sugar. I think it makes the skeleton look a little fuzzy. Great job on the cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are great--but I also agree, no sanding sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I personally like the ones without the sanding sugar. It takes away from the detail in the bones. Thanks, I think I might have to try these!

    ReplyDelete
  5. SOOOOOOO Cute!!! I vote 86ing the sugar! Can't wait to see the stones!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I ALSO think NO sugar sanding, I like the smooth bones! These are soooo cool. Was this a tombstone cookie cutter? I need more cookie cutters in my life :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love these cookies! Great job! Let me ask you....how long does it take for the meringue powder and water mixture to dry? I tried this technique a few weeks ago and I think I was very impatient because it wouldn't dry!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I say without. Skeletons aren't so furry! Sounds pretty unanimous so far!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, it looks like great minds think alike! :) No sanding sugar next year! :)

    Michaela...it is actually a coffin cookie cutter! Kind of creepy, I guess.

    La Belle...I apply a really thin amount, so the sugar just covers it up and it sets. Try just applying a tiny bit and see if that works. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. these are great! I also agree about the no sanding sugar- you can see your beautiful icing work better without it!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those are too cute! I like the ones without the sugar better. You have a great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those came out marvelous! You make/bake/create such beautiful cookies!!!! Love them! I wish I had half your talent and a quarter of your patience.
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh these are so cute. I prefer them without the sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think I like them without the sugar, makes them look fuzzy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bridget -- I stole your friendly Frank cookie idea for my daughter's kindergarten class and they are adorable. I made spider web cookies and ghosts to go with them. She is soooo excited to bring them to school tomorrow. I think I may be even more excited. THANKS!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I saw these on a gingerbread cookie cutter! I love these so much more! Plus - yours don't look over cooked!

    ReplyDelete
  17. My vote is for without the sanding sugar! but I wouldn't reject one with it if offered! Great piping job! I suck at it and have no patience!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awesome! I like your decorating skill.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Happy baking! :)
(Comments, especially on busy giveaways, may take a minute to show...thank you for your patience.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Pin It button on image hover